The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet. – Aristotle
Back to school time can be a stressful and trying time for teachers and parents. Remembering to breathe can sometimes be a struggle, LOL. The following is a list of 8 items that are essential for you to survive this back to school time:
1. Rubber Band – to remind you to be flexible; things may not always go your way, but they will work out. The rubber band may be an essential tool if there is road construction right outside your child’s school!
2. Pencil – to remind you to write down your blessings every day. Oh, and keep track of all the little things you need to do so you don’t forget.
3. Chewing Gum – To remind you to stick with your child (or children for teachers) and together you can accomplish anything. If all else fails, it is much less painful to bite your gum rather than your tongue!
4. Toothpick – To remind you to pick out the good qualities in your children and others. If you have a problem with judging others, then you may need to purchase multiple boxes of toothpicks for such a reminder.
5. Band Aid – to remind you to heal any hurt feelings. These can be used to heal any hurts that include your children’s, yours, and others. Forgiveness and love are two very powerful tools.
6. Eraser – To remind you that everyone makes mistakes. In fact, mistakes can be very wise teaching tools. The road to excellence and greatness is filled with many stops and adventures through the land of mistakes.
7. Tea Bag– To remind you to take time to relax each day. Taking the time to unwind and relax can be a very great gift for yourself and those around you.
8. Mint – To remind you that you are worth a mint. As humans we all are inferior in some way, but that doesn’t mean we are worthless. Keep this mint to remind you to pass this lesson on to children so that they too can feel like they are worth a mint.
Be sure to collect these items and put together your back to school survival kit. The time to make this is now. Don’t wait until the craziness begins, get prepared!
ABOUT CHRIS SWENSON
Chris Swenson is a licensed Couple and Family Therapist currently helping people become more functional and adaptable in their lives at his private practice counseling office in Sterling, CO (Rhino Wellness Center). To contact Chris, you can call 970-522-0796 or schedule an appointment online at www.rhinowellnesscenter.com